Welcome Friends!


Welcome Friends! I am so grateful for all who have shared their stories of food-related hurts and healings. It is an ever-evolving journey for me, and I have relied upon others who have held similar experiences for comfort, empathy, knowledge and support. In this blog, I share some of my personal experiences as well as some of my favorite foods. I am currently on a grain-free diet, very similar to the Paleo diet. Having multiple food sensitivities as well as hypoglycemia, I have taken liberties with the diet, such as using agave nectar instead of honey. I'm aware of the great agave debate, but keeping my blood sugar low takes priority. I use such small quantities, that it is a non-issue for me. In addition, I still use cream in my coffee as well as a few other dairy products sparingly. I have given up so many beloved foods, that I am stubborn when it comes to dairy. Also, when I am really craving a starch, I will eat quinoa, buckwheat, lentils or beans. Again, it isn't very often, and these foods have some very healthful benefits as well. However, I find I feel my best when following most closely to the Paleo diet, eating large quantities of vegetables and animal protein. It isn't a philisophical choice for me, but rather a choice to feed my body what it seems to need for optimum performance-pain free, clear-headed, energetic and balanced. I hope you find something here that looks delicious even though your diet may look quite different than mine. Good food transends across the boundries of "diet." Enjoy!



11.08.2010

Time to Change

What a crazy diet it is in the life where food sensitivities never cease to change!

Once again, my diet has taken a crazy turn. I have been diagnosed with increased intestinal permeability, or leaky gut syndrome…Nice, huh? So my mission now is to heal my intestines with healthy doses of probiotics and an anti-inflammatory diet. Fun for me! Just when I thought I figured out my diet, it drastically changed. Again.

Right now I’m on day three of my Clearvite cleanse. So far so good! I’m trying to simplify my tastes in food a bit. This is the first time I’ve really kicked the cheese out. It was by far my favorite food. I love cheese. And chocolate. And coffee. And wine. I guess I definitely know I am at a place where I just want to feel better because I am really okay with forgoing the cheese this time around, along with my other food loves. Maybe someday we will be together again.

But for now, I am finding new food joys and feeling sooo much better! As it turns out, I was also extremely low in B12, D and protein as well. So now I’m on a customized vitamin regimen and high protein diet.

One more thing discovered is my blood sugar seems to be on a crazy roller coaster all day when I don’t avoid sugar and cheap carbs, so I am now using stevia almost exclusively. Good news is I might actually drop a pant size. Go Me!

Like I said, it’s been interesting here in the food department.

Here are some new ingredients that have made dining life better these days:

Almond and Cashew Milk

I use this in smoothies, banana bread, tea, chocolate bark, and more! So good!

The Chai Green Tea is especially good with the above two ingredients! Yum! I barely miss coffee now.
So goodnight for now, but new "crazy diet" recipes are to follow. We had burrito bowls tonight that me and my hubby really enjoyed!



No comments:

Post a Comment