Welcome Friends!


Welcome Friends! I am so grateful for all who have shared their stories of food-related hurts and healings. It is an ever-evolving journey for me, and I have relied upon others who have held similar experiences for comfort, empathy, knowledge and support. In this blog, I share some of my personal experiences as well as some of my favorite foods. I am currently on a grain-free diet, very similar to the Paleo diet. Having multiple food sensitivities as well as hypoglycemia, I have taken liberties with the diet, such as using agave nectar instead of honey. I'm aware of the great agave debate, but keeping my blood sugar low takes priority. I use such small quantities, that it is a non-issue for me. In addition, I still use cream in my coffee as well as a few other dairy products sparingly. I have given up so many beloved foods, that I am stubborn when it comes to dairy. Also, when I am really craving a starch, I will eat quinoa, buckwheat, lentils or beans. Again, it isn't very often, and these foods have some very healthful benefits as well. However, I find I feel my best when following most closely to the Paleo diet, eating large quantities of vegetables and animal protein. It isn't a philisophical choice for me, but rather a choice to feed my body what it seems to need for optimum performance-pain free, clear-headed, energetic and balanced. I hope you find something here that looks delicious even though your diet may look quite different than mine. Good food transends across the boundries of "diet." Enjoy!



11.10.2010

Sausage Lentil Soup

It snowed tonight for the first time this year! Yay! Snow is my favorite thing! I love sweaters, boots, fires in the fireplace, the quietness after a big snow, and I especially love soup. It makes me happy.

Tonight I had my weekly Mary Kay meeting. That's right. I am a Mary Kay girl. I subbed in a classroom for one day and decided I didn't want to go back to teaching right now. It is just too stressful and too much work for me to be a successful teacher and mother. And since being a successful mother is really my life's ambition, I needed to choose a different career. But guess what? I couldn't be happier! I love my job. I am stoked every time I facial a new client. I love talking about it, wearing it, sharing it and playing with it. I feel like I did when I was a little girl and would go to work with my mom. She worked at Gates Rubber Co. in a small town in Missouri. At the end of each year, she would get so bogged down with inventory work that we would have to go to her office at night while she worked. I loved it! I would sit at the desk next to her and type (before computers were commonplace) and use all the fun stamps, staples, tape and other office stuff I could get my little hands on. It was the best! That is how I feel with my job every day! It has been very uplifting.

Anyhow, I digress. After preschool drop off and pick-up, jr. high PTO, a volleyball game, picking up a highschooler who spent the last 2 days in Blue Hole, NM getting scuba certified, and watching both older girls get another stripe on their green belts in karate, we had to eat! I threw together a yummy sausage lentil soup that pleased all and was quick in the crock pot. Then off I was to my Mary Kay unit meeting. What a day! I think I will head to bed now, after I peel my preschooler out of my spot and snuggle her back into her own bed.


1, 12 ounce package of Mulay's bulk Italian Sausage (I prefer spicy)
1/2 med white onion, rough chop
12ish fat baby carrots, rough chop
3 celery stalks, rough chop
6 cups vegetable or chicken broth
1 1/2 cups dried yellow lentils, rinsed and drained
1 Tbs fresh rosemary, chopped
  • I pulsed the onion, carrots and celery in the food processor until smaller in size 
  • Sauté sausage and chopped veggies until sausage is cooked through, breaking up the sausage into smaller chunks
  • Once sausage is cooked through, add broth and rinsed lentils and rosemary and transfer to the crock pot
  • It's ready once the lentils are tender, about 4 hours in my crock pot

No comments:

Post a Comment